Saturday, February 25, 2023

A Working Dog


A Working Dog

 Is this working dog finished? I don't know if you have the same problem I do sometimes. Knowing when a project is finished isn't always as clear as other times. I'm not sure why that happens. This drawing was planned but there were some last minute changes and some areas not preplanned very carefully. I'm not sure that really makes a difference though because sometimes the plans ahead are little to none and I get a very clear sense when the piece is finished. 

Regardless, that decision must be made by either my instincts, my gut, or my mind. Once made, the decision may still sit in the back of my mind teasing me. 

Another way of knowing when the piece is done is when you no longer have any decisions to make about what to do next. I once read or heard from another artist that the only time you have free will to make decisions about your work is before you even begin. Once the first mark is made you begin to be limited in what you can do next. The more you do, the fewer choices you have. 

Well, I think A Working Dog is finished for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment