Thursday, March 30, 2023

Being True to Myself

Today I feel like talking about being true to myself with the art I make. I have never been a non-objective (nonrepresentational)  artist and probably never will be. I can connect to art that is non-objective often. I get inspired by some non-objective artwork. I am moved by all styles and genres of art. So, what I want to say is that the kind of work I make represents who I am. There are no value boundaries between the styles of art or genres.  Just because I don't make certain style of art doesn't mean I am making a statement about the other styles. The only statement I am making with my art is that "this is who I am." 
So why am I saying this in my blog? Because some fellow artists are so concerned that by creating a certain style of art means that what they are saying or the work they are making is less valued. That is nonsense at every level! Firstly, artists don't create genres. Artists create art that collectors and critics categorize with names to make it easier for their purposes. Artists just make art. Secondly, the value of the art made is very subjective by individuals. What I may think about my work is key. The value placed by others can go from someone who could care less to someone who thinks I am a genius. To make work to satisfy what others may think is ludicrous in my opinion. Being true to myself can convey my authenticity and help others to see something uniquely mine. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment